At least 27 people have died in the floods, and dozens more are still missing in the provinces of Bartin, Kastamonu and Sinop, according to authorities and the Associated Press.
Turkey has been hit by its second natural disaster this month after flash floods devastated the country’s northern provinces near the Black Sea on Wednesday.
At least 27 people dead after floods hit Turkey days after severe forest fires
The missing include five young children, The New York Times reported.
Heavy rains and flooding caused buildings to collapse, debris littered streets and power outages in 330 villages.
“This is the worst flood disaster I have ever seen,” Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu told reporters Thursday night after witnessing the extensive damage, according to the media outlet.
“The risk facing our citizens is high … There is a lot of damage to infrastructure,” he added.
More than 1,700 people were evacuated in boats and helicopters called in, and rescue teams are searching for missing people, including several children, AP reported.
The local fire department is also draining water in flooded areas, officials said.
“We are waiting for our city to be destroyed,” Muammer Yanik, mayor of Bozkurt, told Turkish broadcaster NTV, according to The New York Times . “Citizens are waiting on rooftops to be saved.”
Earlier this month, Turkish rescuers also dealt with deadly wildfires that killed at least eight people and injured hundreds more.
President Tayyip Erdogan said they were the worst fires Turkey had faced in its history as tourist destinations such as Antalya and Mugla were evacuated.