Chantelle Conway has said she will never eat eggs again after she was left screaming in pain and convinced she had “burned her face” in her attempt to poach eggs.
The mother-of-two said she had been cooking poached eggs in the microwave for two years until it went wrong last Friday (July 2).
Woman suffers burns after her attempt to poach eggs goes wrong
Chantelle, from Bolton, put the kettle on to boil and filled a cup before cracking a raw egg and microwaving it for 10 seconds.
But when she stuck a cold spoon into the boiling water to try to get the egg out, the boiling water shot out of the cup and into her face.
The 25-year-old said, “I’ve always made poached eggs that way because it was a quicker and easier way to make them. It wasn’t the egg that exploded, but the one that fell off the side of my stove.”
“It was the worst pain I’ve ever experienced in my life and I’ve had two natural births; it felt like someone had a blowtorch in my face constantly and I was convinced my whole face was burned.”
“I was looking directly over the cup, so I was very lucky that I was able to close my eyes in time and not go blind, but my eyelids were badly burned.”
“I think I probably would have died in pain if I hadn’t acted so quickly by pouring cold water on myself because it was so bad I couldn’t stand it.”
To make matters worse, Chantelle was home alone with her 18-month-old daughter, so she had to wait nearly an hour for medical help.
Once at the hospital, she was told she was lucky not to have suffered worse injuries and credited her quick action of spraying the burns with cold water for preventing third-degree burns.
I will never eat an egg again because I am so traumatized, I used to love eggs.